Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Shel Silverstein

This man is amazing. I love his books. You can check out his website here. Two of my favorites are Where the Sidewalk Ends

and The Giving Tree. I was reading Where the Sidewalk Ends to my two oldest little piggies and they couldn't get enough. They kept saying, "Just one more mom?" The next morning I found the book under #1's pillow meaning that she had snuck it and read it in the night. That little stinker. :)

Where the Sidewalk Ends, is a collection of poems and drawings. I distinctly remember being in 3rd grade in the library of my local elementary school and listening to the librarian read some of the poems from the book.

One of my favorites is called Boa Constrictor.

Oh, I'm being eaten
By a boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,
I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor,
And I don't like it-----one bit.
Well, what do you know?
It's nibblin' my toe.
Oh, gee,
It's up to my knee.
Oh my,
It's up to my thigh.
Oh, fiddle,
It's up to my middle.
Oh, heck
It's up to my neck.
Oh, dread,
It's upmmmmmmmmmmffffffffff...

Isn't that just great? I love his poems.

Another....Hug O'War

I will not play at tug o' war.
I'd rather play at hug o'war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone gigles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.

Such a sweet poem! Now, as for The Giving Tree-

"Once there was a tree... and she loved a little boy." So begins one of the sweetest stories I have ever read for children. It teaches a valuable lesson. The tree just keeps giving and giving and the boy takes her for granted. It teaches about selfishness. I think it is a good conversation starter that gets your kids thinking about how others feel when you just take and take and never give back. I also really love the concept of having a tree "love" a child. It reminds me of my childhood and my favorite tree I use to play in. I loved that tree and built forts in that tree and played games in that tree. I truly "loved" that tree. Anyways, these two books are great to have on your bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment